Flab around the sides and waist is generally directly associated with overall body fat; the more fat you have, the more it accumulates around your middle. Abdominal flab is not only annoying, but also it’s unhealthy. The Mayo Clinic notes that excess belly fat can increase your risk of cardiovascular disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and some cancers. Fortunately, there are several good exercises for flab on the sides and waist that will help improve your health and physique.
Although they’re referred to as love handles, there’s nothing to love about the excess flab at the sides of your waistline. The muscles underneath that layer of fat are known as your obliques. Although their function is to rotate your torso, it’ll take more than torso rotations to get rid of the fat. Reducing fat in one area of your body isn’t possible. Instead, focus on losing weight from your entire body, and as the fat reduces, so will the fat around your middle.
Best Exercises To Reduce Side Fat:
1. Dumbbell Side Bend:
How To Do:
- Grab a dumbbell in each hand and stand with your feet hip width apart.
- Bend from your waist to your left side as low as you can and at the same time sweep your arms in an arch overhead as you bend.
- Straighten up and repeat on the other side.
- Keep alternating and do 20 reps.
2. Triangle With Dumbbell:
How To Do:
- Stand with your feet wide apart. Point your left foot leftward and your right foot forward.
- Hold a dumbbell in your right hand. You should use your heavy weight dumbbell and straighten that arm overhead, slightly sideways.
- Now bend to your left side and try to reach the floor on the left with your left hand.
- Go as low as you can without compromising the position and with your back straight.
- Do 15 reps on each side.