Honey and onions for coughs, you ask? Can it really be that simple?
Seriously, this powerful combo packs a huge punch when it comes to soothing a sore throat and calming a cough. It’s easy to make, too! All you need is about a half a red onion and a bit of honey! This is a traditional folk recipe that’s been passed down for generations. Yummy and boy, does it work great!
DRAT! You got a cough with that cold? Here is a recipe for a natural cough syrup you can make easily with just two ingredients! And….IT WORKS! Find out how to make your own natural cough syrup with this recipe. This home remedy works for coughs FAST, and it’s easy to make.
Why Does This Cough Syrup Work?
This Honey & Onion cough syrup has been one of my favorite cough remedies for many years. Store-bought cough syrups contain high levels of sugar and alcohol that do not do anything to help solve the problem. The chemicals they contain cause side effects.
One of the reasons I love this simple cough syrup so much is not only does it soothe a cough, but the combination of the onion and honey actually helps your body get better! It also tastes really good—it’s not unpleasant at all.
How to Make Onion-Honey Cough Syrup?
Ingredients for Onion-Honey Cough Syrup
- Half a red onion, cut into 1/2 inch to 1 inch pieces
- Organic Honey
Slow Directions for Onion-Honey Cough Syrup
**Even though this method is slower, I like it better than the fast method. You retain the nutrients from both the onion and honey because they are not affected by heat. If you need this syrup fast, you might want to make some using both methods at the same time—then you’ll have ready made syrup from the slow method.
1. Place about an inch tall section of onion pieces into a wide mouth pint jar. I used a quart-size jar, and that’s fine, but it is easier to get to the syrup with a pint-sized jar.
2. Now drizzle a bit of honey over the top. Like a glaze.
3. Now put some more onions on top.
4. Repeat the honey drizzle.
5. Keep repeating until the onions are all in the jar, and the honey is just barely covering. I tend to put WAY too much honey in mine. You just need to barely cover the onions, as they will rise to the top anyway.
6. Cover with a lid and let sit overnight.
7. After a few hours, you’ll find an amazing liquid on top! It’s oniony but sweet, and it is Uh-Mazing for soothing a sore throat and calming an irritating cough.